Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: Voice of the theater only

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Voice of the theater only

    Quote Originally Posted by Russnohio View Post
    It's funny actually, to hear Lucas...George, that is...often comment in recent years about how he was so dis-satisfied with the sound quality his movie was being presented in back in the 70's but surely he must have been aware that some theatres were doing it right.


    Russ




    As to why the large VOTT were son incredible.

    Here is an exept from Jim Dickinson paper.Unfortunately I don`t have anough space to upload the complete PDF file wth this new system.

    Click on image for full view 100%.

    29

    ............................

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Voice of the theater only

    Quote Originally Posted by LICORNE View Post
    ...Unfortunately I don`t have anough space to upload the complete PDF file wth this new system...
    No need to use your own storage, it's at the Web Archive in full already;

    http://web.archive.org/web/200502060...s/LargeVOT.pdf
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Horn Savant's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2008
    Posts
    111
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Voice of the theater only

    Downtown Theaters: Remember Ben Hur (70mm?mag stripe), Mary Poppins (70mm+mag?), Monte Carlo or Bust (70mm?mag stripe) (mostly A-4 installations).

    Local Surburban: "Blue Hawaii", "Munsters Go Home", "The Spirit is Willing"(great bass) (All Mono optical on Western Electric Mirrophonic System)

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member martyh45's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 13th, 2004
    Posts
    337
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Voice of the theater only

    Hey HS, Do you remember the South town cinema on HWY 100 before it was split?

    They had Ampex tube amps, A7 surrounds and 3 A4s behind the screen. The ampex amps on the surrounds and the preamps had peerless iron. The stage speakers used the biggest pentode amps I have ever seen, rows of 807s and gas regulators with output transformers the size of toasters. They ?upgraded? it to god awful EV speaks with QSC amps before they closed. A travesty really.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Voice of the theater only

    Licorne,

    You happen to have a link for that full paper?


    Thanks,


    -chris

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Voice of the theater only

    Quote Originally Posted by oface1 View Post
    Licorne,

    You happen to have a link for that full paper?


    Thanks,


    -chris
    I know,
    Thats what I tried and keeps telling me I don't have enough space.

    ..................

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Horn Savant's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2008
    Posts
    111
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Voice of the theater only

    Quote Originally Posted by martyh45 View Post
    Hey HS, Do you remember the South town cinema on HWY 100 before it was split?

    They had Ampex tube amps, A7 surrounds and 3 A4s behind the screen. The ampex amps on the surrounds and the preamps had peerless iron. The stage speakers used the biggest pentode amps I have ever seen, rows of 807s and gas regulators with output transformers the size of toasters. They ?upgraded? it to god awful EV speaks with QSC amps before they closed. A travesty really.
    I've heard good feedback about the sound and picture as well at that place (before the "upgrade"), It was closed for a while, then demolished quickly. What happened to did all that good old gear I wonder ?

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member martyh45's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 13th, 2004
    Posts
    337
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Voice of the theater only

    Quote Originally Posted by Horn Savant View Post
    I've heard good feedback about the sound and picture as well at that place (before the "upgrade"), It was closed for a while, then demolished quickly. What happened to did all that good old gear I wonder ?
    The sound was awesome before the upgrade, don't remember the picture well but it was probably better than the blown up 35MM on the big screens today. As for the equipment, I bought it, well most of it anyway years ago. back when I was just about the only guy in town chasing the stuff and long before the internet ran the prices out of sight. I left the preamps behind unfortunately as I have since discovered that the input transformers make wonderful MC stepup transformers. I actually did some dumpster diving after they closed the place and ended with a couple of Ballentyne t-25s that must have been in some used bases they moved in for the split. ahhhhh for the good ol' days, when there were not so many of us.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Voice of the theater only

    Since the early 50's and 60's many films were shot in 70mm . Here is what those cameras looked like.

    1 TODD-AO 70MM Mitchell BFC 150 for a deeper curved screen.The Mitchell company would become Panavision .

    30


    2 TODD-AO 70MM

    2

    3 ARRIFLEX 70MM 2009 CAMERA ( smaller but not much bigger than 35mm except for film spool.

    31


    32


    SDS 70MM

    33

    .................................

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Voice of the theater only

    bfish,

    Thanks for coming through on the link, will gimme something to read tonight.

    -chris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.